Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Red Phoenix Author Interview

Hey Everyone! Ashley's Addictive Book Blog is proud to announce Red Phoenix The author of Brie Learns the Art of Submission and Brie Embraces the Art of Submission.



Can you start off by telling us a little about you?

I am a mother of three and wife to one (21 awesome years together). I didn’t start publishing my work until Dec. 2011.

Can you tell us your latest news about yourself or new book your writing?

I am just finishing a series under my pen name, Michelle Stevens. It’s titled The Phoenix series and is a romance based on the courtship of hubby and me. This last book Phoenix Burning Bright, due out Dec 18th-20th, was well received by several publishers except... they wanted me to change the ending. Well, in fact, I was told to cut off the book once the couple (hubby and I) got married.

This story is meant to have an impact - a positive one - and I am looking forward to sharing the conclusion publishers were reluctant to embrace.

*In 2014 I plan to write continuations of The Keeper of the Wolf Clan, And Then He Saved Me, and Varick: The Reckoning. I am also currently finishing a novelette about Socrates, a Spanish Dom.

 When and why did you begin writing?

When I couldn’t get my romance published with the ‘controversial’ ending, I decide to look into self-publishing. To test it out, I wrote a short erotic piece Loving Amy as Red Phoenix. But it wasn't enough, I had to find out what happened to Amy and Troy and the Sensual Erotica series was born. I ended up having so much fun, that I let the muses use me as they wanted.

But the entire time, I was thinking of my first baby - the whole reason I started down the indie route. And now, after all these years, my story will be complete. In just a few more days the world will know the passion behind my wings.


 When did you first consider yourself a writer?

I suppose when I started getting fans. It wasn’t until I made that connection that I felt it was more than just a hobby.

 What inspired you to write your first book?

My sexy husband!

Do you have a specific writing style?

I am simply a story teller.

 How did you come up with titles?

They come to me, much like the story lines.

What inspired you to write about BDSM?

A personal passion and wanting to share what I have experienced with other woman.

 Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

Remain true to yourself and you will discover things you never knew about yourself. Very empowering!

 How much of the book is realistic?

There is not a Submissive Training Center like the one I describe in Brie Learns the Art of Submission. It was my fantasy; however the scenes and tools described are realistic.

Now I love music just as much as reading, I normally listen to music while I am reading. Do you think that you characters have theme songs? What would they be?  

1)    Song for the BDSM aspect of the Series


“Something for the Pain” by Redlight King

This song was a go-to for me throughout the Brie series. It speaks to the allure of skillfully delivered pain to take away the anguish when life gets too difficult to bear. I tended to think of Marquis Gray when I listened to the lyrics—he started his special brand of “therapy” at the tender young age of thirteen. 

2)    Song the Speaks to a Dominant’s Heart


Undisclosed Desires by Muse

I feel this song expresses a Dom’s heart for his submissive. An in-tune Dominant can help his sub discover her undisclosed desires while empowering her to overcome her fears. It can be a powerful dynamic and this song expresses it beautifully. 

3)    Song for Sir


Demons by Imagine Dragons

This incredible song speaks to Sir’s anguish. He wants Brie, but believes he is too damaged emotionally to be a good Master to her. Even after the collaring, he struggles with those terrible demons from his past, both living and dead…

 

4)    Song for Brie


Safe and Sound by Capital Cities 

This is totally Brie! Her love and trust of Sir is unwavering. Even though several challenges face the couple, she truly believes they can survive anything together. I love the lyrics “Even if we are six feet underground, I know that we will be safe and sound…” That expressing exactly how she feels.  

5)    Song for Tono


Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol

This song inspired me whenever I wrote Tono’s scenes. His gentle spirit brings Brie peace; his rope brings her great pleasure. Tono is content just to slow down and “be” with Brie. Unlike Faelan, he respects the sanctity of the collar but his is a love that will never die.  

6)    Song for Faelan 


You are Mine by Mute Math 

Faelan’s obsession of Brie becomes an all-encompassing need so great that it even infiltrates Brie’s dreams. He cannot accept her final choice of Master at her graduation and begins his pursuit of her outside the Centerdespite the collar around her neck. “You are Mine” perfectly describes his mindset. 

7)    Song for Sir’s father


Ter Cetso by Samvel Yervinyan 

When I found this piece of music with the picture of Samvel, I started crying. This is exactly the kind of man I was thinking of when I wrote about Sir’s father. You can see the passion and even the Dom-like look in his eye. But it is at the end of the video that I start to cry. It is as if this is Alonzo’s life if the tragedy had never happened, and the young man he is hugging at the end is Sir. But it blasts apart into tiny pieces because Sir never got that chance.

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

Many are, but the details shall remain secret – we like our privacy. However, if I have not experienced it I researched to find out how it feels and why women like it.

Do you see writing as a career?

For now, but I do not know what the future will bring. Life has been pretty surprising so far- and I love it!

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?

No, I must say that Brie Embraces the Heart of Submission is exactly how I want it. The muses amaze me as I write. As long as I listen, the story plays out exactly as it was meant to – no regrets.

 Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

I have always loved writing, ever since I was a child. I won a poetry contest in Jr. High, and wrote some potent short stories in college. However, I always assumed it would remain a hobby. It wasn’t until indies were given a chance to publish without a huge investment of money that I had the opportunity to offer my work to the world.

Who designed the covers?

My friend and fan Christina McKenzie Gwin took the photo for Brie Embraces the Heart of Submission and Viola Estrella designed the cover around it.

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

I learned that I am not the only one who enjoys the exchange of power. Turns out it calls to many women, as well as men, and when it is heeded it’s very satisfying.

 Do you have any advice for other writers?

You can start out like I did, on Smashwords learning the ropes. But I highly recommend finding an editor as well. It is the one key thing that I did not start out with, so I had to go back and “fix” all my older stories after I became popular. I would save other writers that pain…

My other piece of advice is to write what’s in your heart. Sure you can copy what’s currently popular, but if it isn’t your story the readers can sense it. Why waste their time and yours?

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

I am so grateful to have your encouragement, support and friendship. I love you, peeps!

Which comes first, the character's story or, the idea for the novel?

Depends, Varick was a character that’s been with me since I was a teenager. I did not know what his story was until later. But others have started with an idea and bloomed as the characters came to join in the fun.

Is there anything else that you would like to add?

Thank you for this chance to share with my fans and new readers, Ashley. I appreciate your thoughtful questions and your enthusiasm for Brie. ~Red

 

I just want to say thank you so much for taking the time to answer these for my readers and I. I look forward to seeing more work from you in the future.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment