Thursday, January 30, 2014

Q&A with Garrard Hayes Author Of BOURBON & BLOOD Crime Thriller

Hey Everyone! How are we doing today? So I Know we normally post Q&A's on Wednesday's but I need you all to please bare with me right now. It is tough times right now but none the less I have the Q&A today and let me tell you its good so with out any further interruptions I give you Garrard Hayes Author of Bourbon & Blood

   
What would you like to tell everyone about you that they wouldn't already know from reading your books?
 I love action books, movies, TV and video games. I’ve been a huge James Bond fan since I was a child. I used to run around the house pretending to take down bad guys. I’m also a traditionally trained fine artist and during the day I’m a Creative Director at an Interactive advertising agency.

 Can you tell us your latest news?
I’m working with some folks to make Bourbon & Blood into an unabridged audiobook.  I’ve hired a New York actor as the narrator.

When were you first bitten by the writing bug?
It’s been many years since I had my paintings in a New York City Art Gallery. I wanted to start painting again, but my wife didn’t want me making a mess in her house. I wanted to keep her happy so I decide to paint with words. I had been reading nothing but Crime Fiction for five years, so I gave it a shot. Bourbon & Blood took a year to write, edit and publish.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I still don’t really consider myself a writer. I’m a student of writing and art, always learning. I’ve begun my journey to better myself through writing projects.

What inspired you to write your first book?
 The authors that inspired me the most are Adrian McKinty, James Lee Burke and Ken Bruen. Something special happened to me while reading Ken Bruen’s novels. His characters and dialogue were so amazingly that I was inspired to start writing about my own group of misfits.

Do you have a specific writing style?
 I’m still trying to find my voice and style. I hope to one day evolve into a combination of James Lee Burke and Ken Bruen. Bringing readers on an action ride of dark atmosphere and gritty dialogue.

 How did you come up with the title?
 The novel was originally going to be called “9 Crimes”, but the underlining current throughout the novel was bourbon and blood so I changed the name.

I would say I like the Title Bourbon & Blood! If it was called "9 Crimes" I don't think I would have looked at it. The title is interesting and I would have to say yes Bill was always drinking and there was lots of blood at times!

What do you want your readers to get out of your novels?

 I want the readers to get caught up in Bill’s efforts as a regular guy caught up in a bad situation. My goal was to keep a pace fast and not let the reader come up for air.

Coming up for air? Hmmm I would have to say after chapter 7 Yes I don't remember being able to stop as you will see in my review tomorrow what I have to say about that!

Is the book mostly fantasy or do you think these situations could actually happen?

 I spent a lot of time researching current events in New York, drugs, prostitution and gang activity. So I believe while Bourbon & Blood is a crime fantasy, it contains vividly real elements of today’s dark world.
 
Now I love music just as much as reading, I normally listen to music while I am reading. Do you think that you characters have theme songs? What would they be?
 If I had to put music to Bill’s life it would be U2. In my mind anytime he gets into a car he’s listening to U2.
 
Are the experiences fact based or from your imagination?
The novel is a combination of news events and place that I’ve been to while living, working and growing up in New York.
What books have most influenced your life most?
 The book that has had the biggest influence on me is a novel called Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. This was the first book I read that led me to reading crime fiction and although I don’t tout it, I have not been able to find another novel like it. I’m still searching, but it has led me to some amazing writers.
Which other authors do you feel have had the most influences on you as both a reader and a writer?
Adrian Mckinty and James Lee Burke have had the most influence on my reading and writing. I’ve re-read McKinty’s Dead Trilogy and Burke’s Hackberry trilogy several times.
What book are you reading now?
 I usually read one book and listen to another. I find that audiobooks are awesome in the car while running errands or traveling if your have a great narrator. I’m currently reading  “A Cold Red Sunrise” by Stuart M. Kaminsky and listening to “A Morning for Flamingoes” by James Lee Burke.
Have there been any authors that interest you by their writing styles or subjects?
 I originally was a big Horror and Sci-Fi fan, so Stephen King and Dan Simmons were my favorites.
What are your current projects?
I’m currently working on the sequel to Bourbon & Blood and planning a stand-alone novel to bring attention to gun control laws in the USA.
Do you see writing as a career?
 I wish! Right now it’s just for fun. I can only keep writing and hope that when I grow up I can be a full-time writer.
If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?
 Not a thing. I love a good story with a great cliffhanger.
Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
 Without giving too much away, my grandparents were from Russia and I’ve been enjoying my research for the sequel.
 Who are your three favorite authors and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
 Adrian Mckinty for his brutality and grittiness. Ken Bruen for his sharp wit and dialogue and James Lee Burke for his realism and atmosphere.
Have you done any promotional tours for your books?
 I haven’t done any book tours yet. I still have to keep my day job to feed the family.
So being on Ashley's Addictive Book Blog this week is your first time being featured like this?
Who designed the covers?
 I designed and digitally created my cover.
 What was the hardest part of writing your book?
 The hardest part of writing is find time to write and balancing all the thing your have to do as a Husband, Father, Employee, Cook, Dog sitter, Artist and sadly last writer.
What did you learn from writing your book?
 The main thing I learned was that you really can live the dream if you slowly chip away at what you want. I set a goal of 1,000 words a day and even though I didn’t meet it religiously it kept me thinking about it and I did complete my ultimate goal of finishing the novel.
Do you have any advice for other writers?
Read, write and dream. If you want it to happen bad enough it will.
 Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
I just hope that they enjoy the ride. I had a blast writing Bourbon & Blood and in some ways it’s a tribute to the action movies of the 70s and 80s.
Which comes first? The character's story, or, the idea for the novel?
My process is very similar to Stephen King. I create a situation with a main character and dig up the fossils that become the story. My characters speak to me as I brush off the dirt.
What advice do you have for someone who would like to become a published writer?
Start a writing project, chip away at it until it’s you reach your goal. If you’re having fun your readers will too. In some ways it’s like saving pennies everyday. After a while you have a whole lot of pennies to do something with.
Is there anything else that you would like to add?
I want to thank you Ashley for giving me this opportunity to meet your readers and bring them a piece of my imagination. Hopefully they’ll enjoy my crime thriller ride.
I just want to say thank you so much for taking the time to answer these for my readers and I. I look forward to seeing more work from you in the future.
Well there you have it readers Questions you want answers to Garrard Hayes has given you the Answers you crave and want. Once again Thanks Garrard Hayes for taking the time to answer all these for us and everyone Don't forget the contest starts tomorrow at midnight right here on Ashley's Addictive Book Blog and also there is a Link on Facebook over at Ashley's Addictive Book Blog Page and I am sure Garrard Has a link on his page as well TeeHee! Good luck everyone and I Hope you enjoy tomorrow I will start all the reviews for Bourbon & Blood starting here and following on all major book sites
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment